May 20, 1980. Chicago Sun-Times
January 31, 1979. “A crowd of 300 was on hand Sunday at Sacred Heart Church to pray for the rescue of the building, which is scheduled for demolition by the Chicago Catholic archdiocese. Some came from as far as 50 miles away to attend the maverick prayer service. The church is located at 11652 S. Church, Chicago.” (Photo by Don Weinzierl)
In the words of a nun who attended that day, “This is a rare, little church, Sacred Heart is, and they have no right to destroy it – there were miracles here.”
Article from 1/29/79
Pictures in article from 1/29/79
January 28, 1979, Economist Newspapers.
“Praying for a miracle isn’t easy when your church is about to be demolished, by Sacred Heart Parishioners still hope their church can be saved.”
Click here for pdf of article.
On January 18, 1979, Cardinal Cody issued a directive which closed Sacred Heart Church after January 21, 1979.
Cody intended not only to shutter the little church, but also had plans to demolish it. The response from parishioners was swift and the Save Our Shrine movement was organized.
Letter from Cardinal Cody – 1/18/1979
Reprint of public testimonial given by Reverend John F. McNally on April 14, 1953, on the celebration of his 25th Anniversary of ordination into the priesthood.
Chicagoland Monthly magazine had a good article about the closing of Sacred Heart Mission in the April 1979 issue.
Download the pdf version here.
This booklet was published by the Commission on Chicago Historical and Architectural Landmarks, in August 1980. It contains a few photos, along with an extensive history on Sacred Heart Mission.
View a pdf of the booklet by clicking here.
On Sunday, September 18, 2011, at 10:30am, a Mass of Thanksgiving will be celebrated in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the Ordination of Father John Anthony Kret, O.S.A.
A celebration and refreshments will be held following the Mass.
Back to school also means it is time for Religious Education (CCD) classes to begin again at Sacred Heart. The 2011-2012 year begins on Sunday, September 11, 2011. Registration Forms are available in the back of church.
Visit the Religious Education page for full calendar.
In the 1920’s, Father de Norus published a magazine called “The Blessing.” It was produced monthly and chronicled events at Sacred Heart Church. After reading about this in the book “Spires of Faith: Historic Churches of Chicago,” I decided to name the blog part of this site after the magazine.